The MIRTHE+ SLC initiated an OSA Student Chapter at Princeton in July 2017.
- Foster dialogue and learning about optics though a monthly journal club with graduate students at Princeton University.
- Prepare students for conferences and the workplace though workshops for professional development.
- Pursue engineering solutions for challenges through team optical engineering projects.
- Network with local industry and communities to provide opportunities for collaborations and professional opportunities for students in the future.
- Continue outreach events at Princeton and in the community. (Participating in existing programs such as Young Women’s Conference held by PPPL and YSAP held by MIRTHE+. Bridge new connections with local public schools to excite young scholars about optics and pursing careers in STEM).
Please let us know if you would like to be part of the MIRTHE+ SLC and OSA Student Chapter or have any suggestions for programs and collaborations. We are excited for all the new events in the year to come.
The MIRTHE+ SLC and Princeton OSA Student Chapter Members.
Alexandra Werth, President (email@example.com)
Levi Golston, Vice President (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Yasin Kaya, Secretary (ykaya@Princeton.edu)
Yifeng Chen, Outreach Officer (yifengc@Princeton.edu)
Michelle Zhang, Journal Club Leader (email@example.com)
Cheyenne Teng, Collaborative Project Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Journal Club
The Princeton OSA Chapter hosts a monthly journal club to learn more about cross-disciplinary topics in optics, practice presenting our work, and support fellow graduate students in their academic endeavors. If you would be interested in joining the OSA chapter or would like to present at a future journal club please email us at PrincetonOptics@princeton.edu.
Events and Activities:
- October 24 2017: The Princeton OSA Student Chapter journal club meeting.
The Journal Club leader will be Dr. Peace (Sorawis) Sangtawesin from de Leon’s group. The topic is “Optically-Detected Magnetic Resonance with Nitrogen-Vacancy Centers in Diamond.” (Abstract)
- July 12 2017: The Princeton OSA Student Chapter journal club meeting.
MIRTHE alumni, Sabbir Liakat, currently a scientist at Princeton Identity Inc., led the meeting and spoke about using optics for biometric identification. See Abstract of his talk and photos from the meeting
- June 2017: The OSA Student Chapter held first student journal club at Princeton.